WHY CHOOSE JON F. GRAHAM NEUROSURGEON FOR MINIMALLY INVASIVE SPINE SURGERY?
- 1/2 inch incision
- Board Certified Neurosurgeon
- More than 2000 successful cases
- Same day discharge
- Northwestern/UCLA Trained
- Minimal post-op pain
- Quick Recovery
- Over 90 percent success rate
- Advanced Technology
Cervical artificial disc replacement surgery (also known as arthroplasty) involves removing a diseased cervical disc and replacing it with an artificial disc. The discs are the cushions that lie between the vertebrae. They act as shock absorbers and allow your neck to move freely. These discs can breakdown, loose their height and their cushioning effect. They can also become displaced and compress the spinal cord or the nerve roots. This can cause neck pain, upper extremity pain, numbness, weakness or tingling. Disc replacement surgery could be used to treat one or two level disease and there are several implants in the market that are FDA approved.
ADVANTAGES OVER ANTERIOR CERVICAL FUSION SURGERY
Disc replacement surgery is a minimally invasive procedure in which the problematic disc is replaced by an artificial disc that preserves motion at the treated level. This procedure maintains backward and forward bending, side to side bending and turning. This is in contrast to fusion surgery that eliminates motion at the diseased level. The major advantage of motion preservation is that it decreased the likelihood of breakdown of the discs above and below the treated level. With fusion surgery, there is increased stress above and below the fusion and this could lead to future problematic adjacent segment disease. There are also several recent clinical studies showing superior clinical outcomes with disc arthroplasty compared with anterior cervical fusion. At Jon F. Graham Neurosurgeon we understand the significant burden neck pain could have on the quality of life. We also understand why a lot of patients are afraid of spine surgery. It is important to understand that over the past decade there have been monumental, game-changing advances in the field of minimally invasive spine surgery. Disc replacement surgery constitutes one of these technological advances. We are highly experienced in performing cervical disc replacement surgery and are widely recognized as a regional center of excellence in this field. Contact us today to see if you are a candidate and to obtain a free MRI review.
WHERE TO GO FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC SURGERY
Are you a candidate for artificial disc surgery? This can be a complicated assessment based on the type of disc problem you have. Keep in mind that the physician you choose for spine surgery will have a great impact on your outcome from spine surgery – especially artificial disc surgery. The more experienced and trained the surgeon is in spine, the more options you have to explore.
JON F. GRAHAM NEUROSURGEON TREATMENT PHILOSOPHY
- We understand the negative impact chronic neck or lower back pain could have on the quality of life. We are fully aware that these conditions cause a significant amount of suffering for our patients. We also understand the significant fear and anxiety most patients have about the prospects of having to undergo spinal surgery
- We do NOT believe in conventional OPEN spinal surgery techniques because they are too invasive and the recovery is too prolonged
- We are STRONG believers in MIS Surgery Techniques and we possess world-class expertise in this field
- We believe that the results with MIS surgery are far superior to those with open spine surgery
- We believe the overwhelming majority of spinal conditions could be treated effectively through tiny incisions using endoscopic techniques
- We believe in muscle and soft tissue sparing surgery techniques
- We believe that patients recover much faster when MIS surgery techniques are employed as opposed to open surgical techniques
- We believe in consistently maintaining an obsession with achieving the very best patient outcomes and our safety record is second to none nationwide.
- We believe in preserving spinal motion whenever possible
Our core purpose is to return our patients back to life and activity utilizing highly sophisticated and advanced minimally invasive surgical techniques. The surgery is only the means to the end.
BACK & NECK PAIN